-- Just a few of the highlights of my time with the kids at church on Sunday! Preparing for this lesson was a challenge because the story was very familiar to the class and so it meant I would have to think of new ways to keep the attention of three excitable eight-year old boys. We were doing the story of Moses -- how God strengthened him and helped him lead the Israelites out of Egypt. I was going to need God's strength and help for this one! Here's what I came up with:For the memory verse - I wrote out the verse phonetically, Mad Gab style, and had the boys guess it: "Eye yam year God. Eye wool string thin ewe and help ewe." This had all of them engaged as they tried to figure it out.
For the story - Because it was so familiar, I asked tons of questions along the way that essentially meant they told me the story. At one point I had one of the more excitable boys read part of it too, which to my surprise had everyone tshoep stil (without a sound) as they listened to him read!
For the take-home craft - I racked my brain for ages on this one. I vaguely remembered making a jumping frog in origami many years ago and in the story there was a plague of frogs so I thought this would be perfect -- if only I could remember how to do it. Thanks to a post on youtube I was good to go.
For the active game - I made a mini grand prix race track and had the boys race their jumping frogs from start to finish, stopping at points along the way where I would ask them recall questions about the story and memory verse.
Phew! We made it to the finish line, and had a lot of fun too!
No comments:
Post a Comment