Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

the essential question

Can you be both a Christian and believe in evolution? Many people struggle with this question. A classmate brought up the issue in class just this week, and there are others who have faith that there is a God, but are not sure where the "science" piece of the puzzle fits.

I think a starting point in the discussion would be to go back to the basics, and ask: what is a Christian? Essentially, a Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. A person who has acknowledged that they are a sinner, and have accepted the forgiveness that Jesus Christ offers through his death on the cross in their place. There are no other requirements involved. Jesus made that clear in his interaction with the thief on the cross. This excerpt, taken from Luke's account:

"Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.' Jesus answered him, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.'"

Jesus did not ask the criminal to affirm any theological beliefs, he didn't grill him with questions on the issues of the day, he was only concerned that the man had accepted him for who he was. This was characteristic of the interactions Jesus had with the people he met. His primary concern was whether people accepted him, and not a particular theory or idea.

I think this narrows the discussion to one essential question. A question both for Christians, and for those who believe there is a God but have doubts. The question that matters most is, as Jesus asked, "who do you say I am?" Once you've answered this, you can then explore other questions as secondary, and search Jesus' thoughts on whatever situation or theological issue or doubt you are facing. Having answered the central question of who Jesus is, whatever you decide on those issues will be between you and him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Howdy Tamela!
Well said. I don't see a need to struggle between Christianity and science. The Bible is the ultimate tome of knowledge, but it was never meant to be interpreted as a scientific document.
I think God built curiosity into us for a reason. We'll never fully understand the origin of the world, but it never hurts to try.

Dr. Tim the Vet said...

Very well put :)